Man beaten with truncheons over his ex-girlfriend’s clothes

A man broke his girlfriend’s ex-girlfriend’s arm when an attempt to retrieve clothes turned violent.

Aleksejs Rukas pulled out an extendable baton and knocked Janis Paukis to the ground before delivering more blows with the weapon and breaking his arm. Rukas had gone to the victim’s home and took over with him for fear that the incident would turn violent against him.

But Preston Crown Court heard it was instead Rukas, 30, who attacked the other man when an argument broke out and ‘adrenaline’ took over. The court heard he had visited Mr Paukis’ home in Skelmersdale at the request of his girlfriend. She had already dated Mr. Paukis and wanted to collect some clothes from him.

But when he arrived at the property, Mr Paukis was argumentative and Rukas worried about other people being there. He pulled out the truncheon and hit the victim in the neck, knocking him to the ground. He then struck him again in the left arm, breaking his forearm. The bags were then passed through the door and Rukas left but he was quickly arrested.

READ MORE: Blackpool man sexually assaulted woman after excessive cocaine and alcohol use at hotel

When questioned by police, he admitted to attending the address with the baton and said it was only used in self-defence. He later pleaded guilty to wounding and possession of an offensive weapon charges, but also denied kicking Mr Paukis while he was lying on the ground. A Newton hearing was held to determine this issue and ruled in favor of Rukas.

Rukas, of Park Road, Wigan, was unrepresented in court and offered no mitigation during the sentencing hearing. A pre-sentence report prepared by a probation officer was summarized by recorder Andrew Nutall and said Rukas had been in a relationship with the woman for 12 months at the time of the offense in November 2020.

He said Rukas had the baton as protection in case of a burglary and did not seek to be violent that day or cause serious damage, but “with your adrenaline rush, your thinking skills would have been compromised”. The court heard that Rukas was the son of a professional footballer and a talented sportsman in his own right.

He left school at 17 and moved to the UK at 18 and has no previous convictions in either country. He also works full-time and is said to be at low risk of reoffending.

At sentencing, Recorder Nutall said he did not believe Rukas posed a risk to the public or that a fit sentence could only be achieved by immediate detention. Instead, he handed Rukas a 12-month community order and ordered him to perform 200 hours of unpaid work. A three-year restraining order was also issued ordering him to stay away from Mr Paukis and the Hawthorn Crescent area.

Source link

Comments are closed.