Gardening: give your mom a gardening gift for Mother’s Day
Let’s look through some of the best Mother’s Day gifts, writes Hannah Stephenson…
As Mother’s Day approaches, it’s time to visit garden centers and horticulture and tool specialists online to find the perfect gift for your gardener mom. Here are some suggestions…
1. Succulent Living Wreaths, from £98 for a 12-inch wreath, The Little Hanging Garden Company (thelittlehanginggardencompany.co.uk): A succulent gift that keeps on giving – you can hang these wreaths on the front door or on an outside porch, which should give your mom color and interest all year round. The attractive circular gardens feature a deep handmade copper frame lined with burlap or moss, filled with specially mixed soil and planted with perennial, evergreen and succulent specimens.
2. V&A Pedigree Fork and Trowel, £28 each (pedigreegarden.co.uk): This gorgeous new collection from Bulldog Tools includes a hand trowel and fork (purchased separately) packaged in durable heritage-patterned gift boxes, while the stainless steel tools themselves bear beautifully etched designs from the V&A archives on their blades.
3. Houseplant Mist, £24.99, Burgon & Ball (burgonandball.com): If she has a penchant for houseplants, give her this stylish mist maker, which uses an ultra-fine spray to Gently moisturize plants and give tropical species moisture they crave. Available in silver, stone or charcoal grey.
4. Garden Ankle Ultralight Ladies Boots, £34.99, Leon Boots Co. (lbcboots.com): These super lightweight boots come in six bright colors, from yellow and blue to fuchsia pink, with liners you can remove and wash when you need it. Ideal for mums who want to potter in beds, borders or vegetable gardens and keep their feet warm and dry without the need for thick socks.
5. Weber Deluxe Grill Basket, £26.49 (weber.com): For the woman who wants to cook outside in the spring, this versatile stainless steel basket is ideal for grilling vegetables and small pieces of meat – and fits all Weber coals, gas and coals. electric barbecues. It may be a gift for her, but the whole family could soon enjoy the results.
6. Coffee Break Bird Watch Hamper, £36.01, RSPB (shopping.rspb.org.uk): If your mum likes to watch birds in her garden, this gift should provide everything she needs in one eco-friendly hamper – containing a ceramic robin feeder ideal for serving seed and suet snacks, as well as a bird cup and organic coffee.
7. Mum’s Meadow Seedball Wildflower Seed Box, £6.50 (seedball.co.uk): If she’s in the mood to re-wild part of her garden, this limited-edition box may be just for her. It contains 20 balls of seeds with a mixture of buttercup, white daisy, red clover, self-heal and yarrow seeds, based on the ever-popular assortment created by the charity for conservation, Plantlife.
8. 18V ONE+ Cordless 2-in-1 Grass and Shrub Shear, £72.99, Ryobi (uk.ryobitools.eu): For the mum who likes to keep her shrubs neat and tidy and her topiary just that way, this is an ideal tool for trimming and sculpting small shrubs and hedges. It has two attachments – a longer blade and a shorter shear blade (batteries and charger sold separately).
9. National Trust ‘Under The Canopy’ Kneelo Garden Kneeler, £20.99, and Gardening Gloves, £16.99, Burgon & Ball (burgonandball.com): Featuring the latest design from the National Trust’s collaboration with Burgon & Ball, this ‘Under the Canopy’ blue and green print celebrates the beauty and subtle textures of our beloved countryside landscapes. A percentage of the turnover will go to the National Trust.
10: Tree-Hanging Fat Ball Bird Feeders, £16.99, Crocus.co.uk): Give mum – and the birds – a treat for wildlife with a tree-inspired hanging fat ball bird feeder. pods of Kigelia Africana, the African sausage tree. With plenty of room to perch, the feeders, made from steel with a spun copper lid, are ideal for hanging from branches or garden fences.
11. Pure Gardener Gift Set, £55 (purelakes.co.uk): If you’re pampering yourself with an eco-friendly approach, treat your mum to this gift set from Pure Lakes, who manufacture all of their products in the Lake District using natural products, biodegradable ingredients. Includes moisturizing hand balm, muscle and joint bath and balm, and gardener’s skin repair bar – perfect for soothing hard-working hands and soothing tired limbs.
12. National Trust Vierno Diner Feeder, £12.45, Vivara (vivara.co.uk)
This sleek ceramic feeder, finished in a lovely teal hue, will hang on any suitable branch, bracket or feeder holder and is ideal for filling with seed mixes or suet pellets. Comes with a strong hanging wire.
13. Garden Organic Gardening Workshop, online webinars from around £30 for non-members; in-person workshops, £45 for non-members (gardenorganic.org.uk): if your mum wants to learn more about gardening, a place in one of Garden Organic’s workshops – on topics such as planning of your land, successful composting or growing Winter Vegetables – would make a memorable gift. Choose from online webinars or in-person workshops at Garden Organic’s new learning and demonstration garden in Ryton, Coventry.
14. Southwold Lobster Pot Plant Stand, from £130, Harrod Horticultural (harrodhorticultural.com): Your mum can keep her taller, more limber plants from toppling over with a ‘lobster pot’ stand ‘ Durable and stylish, RHS approved and handcrafted in Suffolk – the distressed patina will make an impressive feature in beds and borders. Available in three sizes and no assembly required.
15. Fiskars Solid Bypass Pruner P121, £9.99, Newgate Nurseries (newgatedirect.co.uk and other online retailers): Spring is pruning time, so get your mum a new pair of pruners. This lightweight, economical pruner is ideal for thin branches and stems and comfortable to use thanks to its lightweight FiberComp handle and open lock. The coating on the blade is rust resistant, so it should last a long time.