Elderly woman dies in house fire after candle lights clothes

An elderly woman died in a house fire after a candle in her house set clothes on fire.

Fire crews from across the city and county were called to the home on Frederick Road, Highfields, Leicester, where the woman was the only person in the house at the time.

Neighbors said she was still talking when she was taken out of the house, but was taken to hospital where she later died.

For more stories involving Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service click here

After an investigation, Leicestershire Police concluded that the fire was not a suspect and that the matter will now fall to the Leicester coroner.

On Monday next week, fire crews will return to the neighborhood to talk to local residents about fire safety and offer home security checks.

The incident happened around 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 30, but details of the incident were not revealed until today.

The Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said it received a 999 call alerting them that someone was inside the property.

Four fire teams from Leicester, Birstall and Wigston took part. They said an open flame, believed to be a candle, set clothes on fire and damaged a sofa in the house.

They said the investigation concluded the fire was accidental.

Next door neighbor Aarzoo Sabudin, 22, said residents were shocked to learn the woman had died.



Frederick Road in Highfields

She said: “Another neighbor called 999 and he knocked on our door to warn us.

“We got out and there was a lot of smoke and the fire department was there.

“The lady, who is probably around 70, was taken outside and she was still talking.

“Her daughter and son-in-law, who live there with her, came home and she was talking to them. Then she was taken to the hospital.

“We were told to go further down the street and not let in until around 7 p.m.

“It was obviously a shock to learn that she had passed away.

“She was a nice lady and we always said hello when we saw her.”

Ayub Kapaday, who runs The Store down the street, said: “It’s very sad. I saw all the fire trucks when they were here – all along the road.

“I didn’t know what was going on at the time, but later I learned that an elderly person had passed away.”

A police spokesperson said: ‘Shortly before 4.30pm on Thursday 30 December, police were called to Frederick Road in Leicester following a report of a fire at a property.

“Officers have surrendered to support colleagues from the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and surrounding roads have been temporarily closed.

“A woman who was inside the property was taken to hospital but has since died of her injuries. The fire was not started deliberately and his death is not considered suspicious.

“A file will be prepared for the coroner and the identification of the deceased is the responsibility of the coroner.

LeicestershireLive awaits further information from Leicester Coroner. Details of the woman’s identity have not yet been released.

Keep up to date with the latest news with our email alerts delivered straight to your inbox. register here


Source link

Comments are closed.